The Rise of Mobile Only Internet Generation in India [41% Prefer Mobile To Access Internet]
Desktop Internet has a limited reach in India (the best-case number is 70 million users) and Mobile Internet has shown immense potential in the country, especially with the rise of Mobile only Internet generation, i.e. those whose primary device to access Internet is mobile.
Opera Software and On Device Research recently conducted a device agnostic survey and here are few interesting insights
- 49% of people who are using the mobile Internet either never, or infrequently, use the desktop Internet.
- India has emerged as the 2nd largest base of mobile only Internet generation after South Africa.
- For 41% Indians, mobile phone is the only possible way to access Internet
- Mobile Internet users are heavily male dominated
- Mobile Internet users are also dominated by young people with 94% aged between 13 and 34.
With any market report, you should discount the numbers a bit, but to remember that these are winds of change and a precursor to what lies ahead.