Importing post permalinks from new Blogger to WordPress: step by step guide
Well, this has been one of the most requested post, so after shedding all my laziness, here is a step by step guide to move your blogger blog to wordpress (and maintain the permalinks intact)
WordPress has an Import feature – what’s the problem then?
Blogger’s default generated URL is way different from wordpress,and WP’s importer doesn’t imports the Blogger permalinks – which effectively means that you will lose all your incoming link traffic as well as search engine juice.
What’s the solution then?
Follow the white rabbit!
Here is the step-by-step guide to make the movement smoother and easier:
- Get the following plugins:
- WPSuicide : You will commit suicide a number of times, believe me! – This plugin deletes all your posts/comments etc from the wordpress blog.
- Once you have shifted the domain DNS from Blogger to WordPress, go ahead and choose a template (at this point, don’t spend too much of time in selecting the template. Get something out very fast.)
- Go to your WP directory (<WP main directory>/wp-admin/import/) and replace blogger.php file that with this blogger.php file.
- Now, you need to change your wordpress permalink to match Blogger’s permalink:
- Go to Options/PermaLinks, select Custom and specify the permalink in following format: /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%
- Start the import.
- Check whether the permalinks have been imported or not.
- If not, do a WPSuicide.
- Start afresh again – more than the automated process, you need to keep a track of how are permalinks displayed in the new blog. Make corresponding change in your blogger.php file.
Got questions? Leave them in the comments section.
As far as my blog is concerned, I had close to 505 posts and 1120 comments – and I didn’t lose any post/comment during the import process.
All the best! Oh and by the way, will update this hack to match WordPress 2.3 changes (if any).
I am looking forward to WordPress 2.3 release and am sure that will kick the hell of Google’s ugly Blogger.