Google Apps to power Sify mail, chat apps
Google Apps will now power Sify’s consumer apps like mail, chat etc – and will replace Sify’s web1.0 (or older?) applications
If you are wondering why would Sify partner with Google, the question for Sify would have been very simple – Build or Rent?
- Replacing the older system (which is damn old) and building a new email client (with some differentiating element) is an uphill task.
- Renting the Google apps (and revenue sharing?) helps Sify in providing useful service to it’s customer base (which anyway is declining).
‘Our agreement with Google makes superior applications available for communications and collaboration, coupled with our understanding of the needs of Indians, on our popular portal Sify.com; – (source)
Google is also pushing the apps suite aggressively via the ISP channel and is playing with the confused positioning of ISPs. as well:
- ISPs like Sify are confused (bigtime) whether to be a consumer portal or an enterprise service portal – they want to monetize every piece of user action on their network and that leads to a ‘mediocre’ product (isn’t sify.com a replica of yahoo.com frontpage?).
- These mediocre products worked earlierm but with competition from Yahoo, Web18, Reliance etc heating up, Sify will have a hard time competing (on technology/advertiser front).
And Google can really cash on such confusions. For e.g.:
- Sify takes Google Apps – promotes that to it’s user base.
- Users are exposed to Google Apps and start using Gmail, Gtalk, Collaboration sute (online office) etc.
I believe, it’s just a matter of time that these users actually will move away from Sify network to Google and Sify, in the name of ‘superior applications’ handsover it’s users to Google.
What’s your opinion?
Google has also partnered with Airtel to offer Google apps to Airtel broadband customers.http://www.nextbigwhat.com/google-apps-to-power-sify-mail-297/