By 2016, Internet video traffic in India will be 67% of all consumer Internet traffic
Internet growth is not just about the rich media formats, but also the access devices. As per Cisco’s VNI report, the total internet users (globally) will be about 3.4 billion, which is more than 45% of the world’s projected population!
In its forecast for 2011 – 2016, Cisco predicts that mobile data traffic will grow 18 fold from 2011 to 2016, an annual growth rate of 78% and videos will be 70% of global mobile data traffic in 2016, compared to 52% at the end of 2011.
Highlights from the report
- Traffic from wireless devices will exceed traffic from wired devices by 2016.
- A growing amount of IP and Internet traffic is originating with non-PC devices. In 2011, 22 percent of IP traffic originated with non-PC devices, but by 2016 the non-PC share of IP traffic will grow to 31 percent.
- Globally, Internet video traffic will be 54 percent of all consumer Internet traffic in 2016, up from 51 percent in 2011.
- Internet video to TV doubled in 2011.
- Video-on-demand traffic will triple by 2016. The amount of VoD traffic in 2016 will be equivalent to 4 billion DVDs per month.
- High-definition video-on-demand surpassed standard definition by the end of 2011. By 2016, high-definition Internet video will comprise 79 percent of VoD.
- There will be 19 Billion Networked Devices and 40 Percent Will Be IPv6-Capable by 2016.
India Data: Internet Trends
- IP traffic will grow 11-fold from 2011 to 2016, a compound annual growth rate of 62%.
- Internet video traffic will be 67% of all consumer Internet traffic in 2016, up from 30% in 2011.
- 105 billion minutes of video content will cross the Internet each month in 2016, up from 8 billion in 2011.
- Video exceeds half of India’s consumer Internet traffic by year-end 2014.
- Long form Internet video traffic is 2.9X greater than short form Internet video traffic.
- Internet-Video-to-TV traffic will be 6% of consumer Internet video traffic in 2016, up from 3% in 2011.
- Mobile data traffic will grow 58-fold from 2011 to 2016, a compound annual growth rate of 126%
- India’s Mobile was 4% of total IP traffic in 2011, and will be 22% of total IP traffic in 2016.
- There will be 2 billion networked devices in 2016, up from 1 billion in 2011.
- There will be 264,316 Internet households (1.2% of all Internet households) generating more than 200 gigabytes per month in 2016.
A word of caution: We strongly recommend you to build on your hypothesis using the report data, but not to blindly take the data as-is. Read: Why and how to read survey reports? [Data, Intuition and Truth] for more details.